Monday, August 16, 2010

Behind the scenes of HFP Racing

It's been quite some time since I've had the time to update my blog. It's amazing how fast the season is going and how tremendously consuming the day-to-day race director grind can be this time of the year.

I often get the laughable question from race participants during race weekends "So...is there much to do during the week or do you just work weekends?" Funny stuff. I'm writing this blog during my "off" day (the Monday after a race weekend) and during my "off" day today I've been at the computer since 7:00am updating our website for the upcoming weeks race and getting the results pages updated. Next I'll spend several hours attempting to catch up on email and phone messages from last week and hopefully by Noon today and will start my "off" day by spending the remaining part of today unplugged and focused on my family.

Don't take this wrong - I LOVE MY JOB and the crazy schedule and hours I work are always worth it (most of time). However, this blog is not about me (for once) but about the person that holds it all together - the always fast moving red head you see at registration - my amazing wife and business partner Jennifer.

As they say "Behind every good man is an even greater woman" and wow does that hold true for me. Not only does Jennifer hold everything together with the business on race weekend she also balances keeping our family and household in top shape - all while being a Cancer survivor! She is the ONLY reason I feel comfortable enough on race day to jump into the race and because of that I still have a fiery passion for this sport as a business and as a triathlete.

This is truly a "family business" - Jennifer and I work side by side in our home office with nearly constant interruptions from our three children that include Henry's drum solos banging through the duct work and Madeline seeking approval on yet another family portrait she colored and Ezra just being Ezra. Of course we would not have it any other way.

Bring it!

HFP Man