Friday, April 9, 2010

Helen Training Camp - Day 4

Sorry for the lateness in my report on day 4 but I had a mishap during the scheduled 20k trail run yesterday. Thursday was the one day with a 70% chance of rain so we scheduled it for a run and swim only day. The Ruby Falls trail is a narrow single track with lots of off-camber tilts and a great deal of elevation gain. The plan was to run to Ruby Falls (about 5 miles), return on the road then run another 3 miles around the park lake. About a 1/2 mile from Ruby Falls I turned my ankle. In full stride I laid my outside ankle bone squarely into the dirt and then went head over heals off the trail. Swelling was almost instantaneous and the looked like I had a donut in my sock above my shoe. I tried to keep moving fearing it would lock up but just a 1/4 mile later I was required to hobble the remaining trail out to the falls. While everyone enjoyed the view of the falls I was sitting in the creek soaking my foot. After getting out of the creek it was clear I was not running back. Thankfully the park visitor center was just down the road and a very kind park employee drove me back to my truck. Later that day the rest of the campers swam 3k and called it a day.

My ankle this morning has much less swelling and I think I can get it into a cycling shoe for our 40mi ride of Helen 3-Gaps. I'll have to skip the 30 minute transition run but 2.5 hours in the saddle should be good. I'll make sure to send some good photos from the top of the gaps.

Bringing it in Helen!

HFP Man